Sub-Sea Pipeline Leak Detection System
The highly reliable Chelsea Sub-Sea Pipeline Leak Detection System has an impressive track record of providing a quick and cost-effective method of detecting leaks for the oil and gas industries. The system finds leaks in sub-sea pipelines by sensing the fluorescence signal of leaking dye introduced during pipeline commissioning.
Systems can also be provided to detect leaking hydrocarbons in operating pipelines, and for detecting leaks in control lines. The systems are designed to be easily fitted to an ROV for rapid deployment, and can also be supplied as a handheld system for diver operations. Systems are also in use on the new Liquid Robotics gliders.
- Applications and Features
- Detection of leaks in pipelines and sub-sea installations
- Leak detection using many fluorescein and Rhodamine fluorescence based products
- Direct hydrocarbon detection
- In-situ oil in water monitoring
- Hydrothermal vent studies
- Rapid mobilisation world-wide
- Complete turnkey system with data visualisation software
- High fluorescence sensitivity and good background rejection give excellent sensitivity
- Good long term calibration stability
- Low power consumption
- Operationally robust
- Systems deployable from ROVs, profiled, towed or diver held
- Simplicity of integration and use
- Systems operational to full ocean depths
- Wide range of products detected
- More than 25 years proven track record
- System Description
Impressive Track Record
The highly reliable Chelsea Technologies Group Sub-Sea Pipeline Leak Detection System has an impressive track record since 1983, of providing a quick and cost-effective method of detecting sub-sea leaks from offshore pipelines, platforms and structures. The system can be used during commissioning of new pipelines or detecting leaks in operational pipe and control lines. The Chelsea Sub-Sea Pipeline Leak Detection Systems are extremely sensitive and capable of detecting leaks as low as 1 ppm in sea water.
Chelsea Technologies Group offer a number of leak detection systems targeted to rapidly locating sub-sea leaks of different compounds including:
- Hydrocarbons in pipelines and near seabed;
- Fluorescent dyes (with either Rhodamine or Fluorescein type fluorescence) for pipeline commissioning;
- Control fluids including both UV and non UV fluorescence based.
All systems are provided with:
- fluorometer (the particular fluorometer supplied will depend on desired depth and application)
- Interface Unit
- Complete cable set (system dependent)
- Laptop PC with ‘UNIplot’ GUI
- Transit case
- Complete user handbook set
If two targets are required to be detected during the same operation, two different fluorometers can be offered within the one system.
Wide Target Range
The Chelsea Sub-Sea Pipeline Leak Detections can be configured to measure a wide range of current products used within the Offshore industry. These include; RX9022 (Roemex), Pelagic 100 & Pelagic 50/50 with pink dye (Niche), Aqualink, Red 1247, Red 1749 (Houghton), Fluorodye UC, Hydrosure Cleardye, Cleardye (Champion), Transaqua (Castrol), Morlina 5 (Shell), EP1186 (AGMA) and many more.
Leaks are rapidly detected by positioning the Sub-Sea Pipeline Leak Detection Sensor along the suspect pipe or control line on the current wake side. Three deployment configurations are available:
- ROV mounted, 600 metre rated
- ROV mounted, full ocean depth (6000 metre) rated
- Diver-held system
Interpretation of Data
Output from the sensor is presented in real-time via a PC with the Chelsea Graphical User Interface 'UNIplot', which both stores the data and presents it graphically. ROV based fluorometers are provided with an RS232 digital interface.
- Video Clip
In the following short short video clip Bruce Kimber, Chelsea's leak detection system specialist demonstrates the use of the UV AQUAtracka system for leak detection and hydrocarbon in-water detection.